Vigil Leaders Convicted — Dissent Recast As Threat

A Hong Kong court convicted two longtime Tiananmen vigil organizers of “inciting subversion,” turning a candlelight commemoration into a national security crime.

Story Snapshot

  • Judges found Lee Cheuk-yan and Chow Hang-tung guilty of inciting subversion under Hong Kong’s security law.
  • Both had faced up to 10 years; they pleaded not guilty and defended the vigils as lawful remembrance.
  • The ruling caps years of crackdowns that reshaped Hong Kong’s civil society after 2020.
  • Rights groups call the case punishment for peaceful speech and assembly.

Guilty Verdict In Landmark Security Case

On Friday in Hong Kong, the Court of First Instance found Lee Cheuk-yan and Chow Hang-tung guilty of “incitement to subversion” linked to their roles in the Hong Kong Alliance, the group that organized annual Tiananmen vigils. Prosecutors said the Alliance’s messaging aimed to undermine state power. Defense lawyers argued the vigils honored victims, not revolt. The court’s decision followed months of hearings and a prior ruling that the pair had a case to answer on subversion claims.

Charges were first filed in September 2021, more than a year after Beijing imposed a sweeping national security law on the city. The law expanded the government’s reach over speech, association, and protest. The defendants faced a maximum of 10 years in prison if convicted, reflecting the statute’s severe penalties. Both leaders pleaded not guilty. They said remembrance is lawful and moral, and they denied trying to overthrow the state through the Alliance’s public statements and events.

Defendants’ Arguments And Rights Concerns

Chow, a barrister, told the court she sought to “incite others not to forget June 4,” and not to form an unlawful gathering. In closing remarks, she argued that telling the truth had been miscast as hate, and that calls for democratic change were labeled as subversion, but that their goals and values stayed the same. Amnesty International said the case punished peaceful commemoration and urged authorities to drop the charges and free both activists immediately.

The judges weighed those claims against the prosecution’s framing of Alliance slogans and platforms. They concluded the messages encouraged others to subvert state power. The bench had earlier stated there was evidence to support the charge, allowing the case to proceed to full trial. This outcome highlights how statements once seen as political advocacy can now be treated as threats under the security law. Supporters of the activists fear the ruling will chill even private acts of remembrance.

Why This Case Matters Beyond Hong Kong

The verdict reflects a broad shift in Hong Kong’s legal and civic life since 2020. Academic and policy reviews describe the national security law as a major threat to rights and the rule of law, driving arrests, group closures, and self-censorship across the city. The Alliance had been a symbol of free speech for decades. Its prosecution signals that authorities now treat organization-level missions and messaging as national security risks, not only single events like a vigil.

For readers in the United States, the case raises a blunt point: governments, not just politicians, can stretch laws to manage dissent. Many Americans across the spectrum worry elites change rules to protect power. This ruling will look to them like another example. People who fear “deep state” control, or who believe the system serves insiders first, will see a warning here. When speech becomes a security issue, ordinary citizens are the ones who go quiet.

Sources:

independent.co.uk, abcnews.com, hklabourrights.org, amnesty.org, frontlinedefenders.org, today.rtl.lu, srdefenders.org